Sunday, February 8, 2009

Weekend in Valladolid


Queriods,
Time is - = == -- -- ___Flying!

I just finished my first week of tests in a Spanish University. Of course I've had harder tests back in the States, but something about taking all courses in Spanish puts an interesting twist on things :)
There's been a lot of protests here lately, umemployment rates are increasing and workers do not feel their work hours and conditions fairly represent their wages. Here's a picture from a protest that took up the whole street and didn't permit any cars to go through.
I joined a choir group here...it's the first time I've actually had time to commit to such a pastime for, well, years! The first night I went with one other friend, who has since decided it's not really for her, which makes me the only one from my group that's going. It's really been enjoyable, we practice 4 hours a week, combined with the 30 minutes it takes me to get there, it's a good 6 hour a week commitment. Practicing with them is a great way for me to practice Spanish, both with the choir members, but also when the director does oral exercises that requires me to repeat things orally as well. Slowly, but surely, it's getting easier...

I spent my first Saturday in Valladolid! Unfortunately, it was rather rainy but that didn't stop me from exploring the city. For starters I went to the "La Mercadilla" or Market. To put it simply, if you're looking at a map, I went (accidently) as far to the left as possible and needed to be as far to the right as possible. It didn't dampen things though, because it was great to explore other parts of the city. When I finally found the market, I was greeted with sales pitches yelled into my ear. They sell anything from shoes to jeans to shirts to jewelry to socks to purses to things that look stolen. I didn't buy anything because a) I was too intimidated by the yelling and b) all the people crammed onto one sidewalk between two sides of vendors got to me.

Saturday night entailed the usual going out to the bars and staying out until 6 in the morning :)
Sunday I got up early and set off for the "Sunday Market" thinking it would be different from Saturday's, but it really was a lot of the same vendors. The rain was stronger than Saturday too, so I don't think it was a real impression of a 'normal' Sunday. This market takes place in the parking lot of the Soccer stadium and is surrounded by some pretty greenery...a half hour walk took me 3 hours because of all the detours.

Sunday's are a great day here; everything's pretty much closed and is observed as a day of rest...exactly what I need at the end of the week.
Hope all is well!
Besos

2 comments:

  1. It's been GREAT being able to view the pictures you've taken! Keep 'em coming!

    Glad to hear that you're once again doing something else you've always enjoyed... singing in a choir!

    Keep enjoying all your 'explorations' AND sharing them with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenna: I really love your blog and all the pictures are beautiful. It sounds like you are having a great time and learning so much about the culture! Keep us posted...
    Love George

    ReplyDelete